Fascia is Available in Various Types of Material
and It Serves Several Functions
- The most common choice due to its affordability
- Primarily constructed from either spruce, pine, or fir
- Because it is not water-resistant, wood is subject to rot
- Must be primed and painted regularly to extend longevity
- Can be used as a means of weatherproofing wood fascia
- Pliable & can be bent/wrapped completely around the wood
- Extends the life of wood fascia; installation could be expensive
- More accurately defined as polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- Standard PVC includes plasticizers for added flexibility
- Fastened to wood fascia to add appeal and increase lifespan
- UPVC does not contain plasticizers; is more rigid/more durable
- Requires little maintenance while also enhancing aesthetic appeal
- Weather/chemical resistant; smooth surface permits better water flow
As part of the overall roof system, fascia serves the following purposes:
- It is used to secure the gutters to the roof and keep them in place
- Blocks water from penetrating the roof deck and into the attic/home
- Increases curb appeal by covering the open/rough ends of the rafters
- Closes off unwanted access to the home by insects, birds, squirrels, etc.
While wood remains the traditional choice of fascia with many home builders, it will need regular painting or staining to prevent wood rot and premature replacement. In recent years, installation of vinyl or aluminum fascia has become more popular, in new home construction as well as upgrades in existing homes; these newer types of materials offer a number of advantages compared to wood fascia, including:
- Minimal or no maintenance
- More durability/extended lifespan
- Better resistance to weather extremes
- Enhanced visual/curb appeal for the home
Based on the importance of fascia in terms of functionality, aesthetics, and its potential long-term cost-savings (vinyl and aluminum), homeowners should regularly inspect and assess its overall condition. This would be applicable for all types of fascia material but particularly in relation to wood construction.
Woodgrain Aluminum Facia
Protect your home from nature’s harshest elements with Ply Gem Performance Collection’s high-grade Aluminum Fascia. You can choose from an array of beautiful colors, textures and durable, low-maintenance finishes.
Preformed Wood Grain Aluminum Fascia has a PVC textured finish that replicates wood. Available in 4", 6" or 8" widths. Color availability varies by width. *Due to screen resolution limitations, product colors may not be exactly as shown.